Tea tree oil is an essential oil that you have probably heard of before or have even seen in environment-friendly housekeeping recipes.
But What Is It?
It is a natural oil with a fresh odor and a color that ranges from pale yellow to clear. It is taken from the Australian Melaleuca plant. Historically, the leaves were used as a substitute for tea, which is how tea tree oil got its name. The part used medicinally is the oil from the leaves.
Tea Tree Oil Uses: From Acne to Zzz…
A simple online search reveals countless uses for tea tree oil. Breathe in this essential oil for aromatherapy or many other unique uses. Here is only a small list of its many benefits:
3. Relieves itchiness from rashes as well as helps reduce rashes
4. All-purpose cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with 1-2 tsp. of tea tree oil and the rest of the bottle with water
5. Acne treatment
6. Helps to prevent lice naturally
7. A few drops in your pets’ crates or beds keep the fleas away
8. Removes ticks
9. Cures toenail fungus and Athlete’s foot
10. Helps remove skin tags
11. Naturally cures bad breath (swish some tea tree oil and water in your mouth)
12. Can be used in a homemade toothpaste recipe
13. Helps to sleep: a few drops mixed with lavender is the perfect combination for a relaxing bath
14. Apply it to doorknobs, handles, remote controls, and phones to keep germs away
15. Soothes insect bites
16. Treats ringworm
17. Treats psoriasis and other skin conditions
18. Relieves asthma or other breathing conditions when a few drops are added to a humidifier
19. Works as as antiseptic on small cuts
20. Keeps your bathroom fresh
21. Relieves earaches: mix 1 drop of tea tree oil with 1 tsp. olive oil, drop mixture into the ear and then remove by tilting head
22. Freshen laundry: add a few drops in your washing machine to scent your clothes
23. Helps freshen carpet
24. Can be used in several homemade kitchen cleaners
25. Can be used in a homemade natural deodorant
Where Can I Find It?
The essential oils of the highest quality are derived from plant species grown according to organic principles and are extracted without the use of chemical solvents. Before purchasing your tea tree oil, make sure that it is completely pure and preferably organic or biodynamic. Once you have checked these parameters, you can decide to buy your essential oil online or in an herbalist’s shop or health food store.
What is your favorite tea tree oil use? Let us know in the comments!