Memorial Day weekend and the start of cookout season are right around the corner, and that means summer-friendly dishes will be in high demand. This creamy vegan potato salad is a hit with vegans and omnis alike, and it is a great side or appetizer to bring to your next BBQ or cookout.
DIY Vegan Potato Salad
This vegan potato salad recipe is super versatile and really fun to make. Craving a little bit of savory? Crumble your favorite vegan bacon and sprinkle it on top. Looking for a more colorful dish? Dice tri-colored bell peppers and toss those in. Want to get a little fancy? Garnish with fresh dill. The possibilities are pretty much endless.
- 4-6 Medium sized potatoes
- ¼ cup of chopped dill pickles
- ½ cup of chopped carrots
- ¾ cup of chopped celery
- ¾ cup of chopped sweet onion
- ¾ cup of chopped bell pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons vegenaise (or more to taste)
- 5 teaspoons pickle juice
- ½ avocado, mashed with fork
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the potatoes, then cut into bite-sized chunks. I leave the peels on, but that is a personal preference.
- Boil the potatoes until soft (usually about 10 minutes). The potatoes should be easily pierced with a fork.
- Dice the carrots, pepper, onion, celery and pickles. Set aside.
- Whisk (or blend on a low setting) the pickle juice, vegenaise, avocado, sea salt, garlic powder, chili powder and black pepper in a small bowl until all parts are combined.
- Remove the potatoes from the water and place in the fridge for 10 minutes, or until cooled.
- Combine the potatoes, chopped vegetables and vegenaise mixture. Use a fork to “mash” some of the potatoes until desired creaminess is achieved.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve cold with your favorite vegan cookout staple!