If you love cheese, but you are looking for a cruelty-free, digestive-friendly alternative, look no further than this easy vegan cheese recipe you can make at home. This cheese sauce is wonderful with macaroni (or any type of pasta really), or served as a delicious and creamy homemade mac and cheese, or as a tasty dip or topping.
This vegan cheese recipe incorporates the creaminess of blended cashews and vegetables with the cheesy taste of nutritional yeast and a touch of heat. The first time I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised with how much better it was than the liquid cheese I had grown up eating; plus it is super fun to pour!
- 2 medium sized potatoes, skinned
- 1 carrot
- ½ medium sized white onion
- ½ cup of cashews
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup of unsweetened nut milk
- ½ tablespoon vegan mayo*
- ½ tablespoon vegan butter*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the cashews, soak them in water for at least a half hour.
- Chop the vegetables and combine in a pot. Bring to a boil and cook until soft; usually about 10 minutes.
- Combine spices, vegetables, optional fats, nutritional yeast and cashews in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately as a dip, over macaroni or other pasta or however you want!