With oatmeal being a staple food for health conscious individuals, it’s no surprise we have modified it to fit into our everyday routine to get the most we can from it. Oatmeal is a whole grain, and by eating whole grains we can reduce our cholesterol and the probability of high blood pressure, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. With a generous portion of fiber that oatmeal gives us, we can reap the benefits of having a healthy digestive system and feeling fuller for longer.
My Oatmeal is Boring
As oatmeal is a versatile cereal, it can be used in a variety of ways. You can add it to smoothies, mix in fruit and cinnamon to enhance the flavor, and blend it with your choice of milk, or even water. All of these offer you a varied, quick breakfast and provide you with the nutrients that your body needs. Adding matcha to the oatmeal bumps up daily vitamins and minerals to provide you with a super healthy breakfast that will keep you going until lunchtime without being boring.
What is Matcha Powder?
Matcha powder comes from the green tea leaf that originates from Japan. The matcha green tea leaf is shade-grown for the final three weeks, then picked and processed and ready to be grounded. Matcha powder is produced by grinding the leaf to a fine powder — what you know as matcha powder.
Adding Matcha To Oatmeal
By adding matcha to your oatmeal, the health benefits are multiplied. Yes, your oatmeal will look green, but it won’t look bland and boring. Some interesting fruit, nuts and seeds will transform the appearance of your oatmeal and offer you a delicious breakfast treat on any day of the week. With matcha being rich in antioxidants, it will increase your memory and boost your energy levels. You will be more than ready to begin your day!
Matcha Oatmeal Recipe
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 50g oatmeal
- 1 ½ cups milk (rice, coconut, almond or water if you prefer)
- Vegan honey to taste
- Toppings of your choice (walnuts, cashew nuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, cranberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, banana, pomegranate)
- Place milk or water, oats, matcha powder and honey or maple syrup into a saucepan and let it simmer while stirring the entire time.
- Within several minutes, it will become thicker. This is when you move it off the heat.
- Serve with a mixture of fruit, nuts and seeds to create healthy and delicious matcha oatmeal.
About the author: Louisa Rose is from Cologne, Germany. She runs Body Health Love, where she blogs about health and beauty advice for young women.